Sunday, April 13, 2008

Miss Michele's Meme Reading

Stacey aka Wyntermoon, good friend, fellow writer and soon-to-be business partner here at Miss Michele's Tarot, tagged me with a meme. You know that's love.

The idea is to share seven random or weird things about yourself. Here are the rules as Wynter posted them:

1. Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
2. Share seven random and/or weird things about yourself.
3. Tag five people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
4. Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.


Since this is a tarot blog, I decided to add a twist. Miss Michele will draw seven cards and use the inspiration behind that card to come up with an odd fact to share.

Let's see how this goes:

1. Ace of Swords... I'm going to share a funny random story about myself for this one. When we first moved into our current place, the cable guys arrived to hook up our modem, cable and phone lines. Since we were still in the process of moving in, we had random thing scattered all over the place. Including several realistic-looking paintball markers and a few swords in my husband's collection. (Including one that is made of wood.)

Our paintball tank is also parked in the driveway. One guy asks "Is that tank real?"
"Real?" I ask, unsure how to answer. It's not virtual, of course, generated by holographic technology. But nor is it "real," as in manufactured from steel. (And I would think this would be pretty obvious looking at it!)

We walk down the hallway to the spare room to install the cable modem. Now, I'm in the house alone with these two guys in the middle of the workday and I catch them scoping the placing out. The same one who asked about the tank notes the swords leaning against the wall in the hallway and goes, "Wow, are those real?"

"Yes," I say.

"Are they sharp?"

"Yes," I say.

"Wow," he says. They continue their work until he sees the paintball guns on the floor.

My response to the inevitable question: "The tank is real, the swords are sharp, the real guns are still packed up. Any other questions?"

2. Wow... didn't that first answer cover it all? Ah, more swords... this time, the Ten of Swords. Since this is the card of illness and possible surgery, here's my deep dark secret. I am terrified of doctors. Wrap a blood pressure machine around my arm and my blood pressure spikes automatically. I'm not sure where this came from. Perhaps from being an overweight child and picked on by an overweight doctor but never given any real *solutions* for weight loss, other than, "eat more chicken and fish," to which I would reply: "I don't like fish."

Until a few years ago, I was also terrified of scales.

3. Hmmm... the Five of Pentacles. I don't necessarily see this card, the card of poverty, as describing me at all. So let me turn this around. Two of my favorite books are The Richest Man in Babylon and Rich Dad, Poor Dad. They have helped me keep my finances in order.

4. The Ace of Cups. I'm going to go for the mundane here: I collect coffee mugs. I have one from almost every state I've visited, except Utah. One day, I plan to go back and finally pick up a mug. I don't know why I never have.

5. The Wheel of Fortune. Okay, here's something I can work with. I don't believe in luck. You make your own luck through hard work. I really resent it when I come across something fortunate, such as a new writing gig, and someone says, "Wow, you're so lucky." No. I work hard and eventually (sometimes) good things come to fruition.

6. Queen of Pentacles This card, as depicted in the Hanson-Roberts deck, is the card that I always think of as myself, so it's fitting that it should come up. I hope to have a friend do a cartoon depiction of me as the Queen of Pentacles once Stacey and I revamp the site to reflect our partnership!

7. And... the Star... Since this is the card of intuition and psychic matters, I'm going to use this card to share a bit about how the Tarot works, according to Miss Michele (and only according to Miss Michele).

The Tarot is a combination of learning card meanings by rote and relying on intuition. I keep in my brain several alternate meanings for each of the cards, and trust that the Tarot will lead me to the right definition at the right time. Every so often, I hear "whispers" in my mind that offer greater insight into the reading. Some people are easier to read for than others and, when I read for certain people, I can pretty much 'hear' the Tarot whispering the truth in my mind.

When a reading is "incorrect," it is because I have misinterpreted the cards--not because the cards themselves were wrong. This sometimes happens when I have bad news to deliver and try to sugar coat it. I am getting better about simply revealing the truth at the cards share it with me, even if it is not what the person wants to hear.

After all that, I have no idea who I'd like to tag. Come back later to see if you're "it."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Michele. I've been trying to get extra money freelancing - emailed several sources between April 1-7 and heard back from one editor who gave me an assignment and needed the freelancers to dig up sources for the story, which I did and I emailed her April 11 and again April 14. Still no reply. this could mean a lot of money and I could really use it. What should I do? Thank you in advance.

Dawn said...

Miss Michele is leaving for vacation, so I won't be able to get to your reading until Monday... In the meantime, however, my advice as a freelance writer is call her! Editors get busy and really, a week is not a long time... but there's nothing wrong with giving her a call. You know she wants to work with you, there's nothing to lose. If you don't have the phone number, e-mail again and stress that you are concerned about making her deadline if you don't get the go-ahead soon. Good luck!

Please post again on Monday and let me know if this has worked out. If it hasn't reached resolution, I will do a reading to see how this situation will turn out.

Anonymous said...

OK Dawn, thank you!!

Rebecca Laffar-Smith said...

Wow! What a brilliant idea!

I might just hijack your Meme and give it a go myself. The trouble is, I really don't have anywhere to put it.

Are you interested in allowing other tarot readers to draw cards for themselves and post their meme here at Miss Michele's? Or you could even offer THIS as a reading. I'd love to hear your personality take based on the cards you draw for me. ;-)

The only other options left for me would be to post it on an obscure, practically invisible, personal blog that is about to go out of commission; or post it to the alternative blog I have in my domain space that I've still not really set up yet; or try and doctor it to suit the WRITING me so it would fit on The Writer's Round-About.

I had a good chuckle about your Ace of Swords. I have a very large sword in my home too and for years I've intended to have a display made for it. People always look strangely when they see my sword laying about in some random pokey hole because I've never gotten around to getting it into its own place of pride.

By the way, I LOVE the tank. ;-) You take LARP style games to a new level. I've always loved the idea of paintball but never had the chance to try it. I do remember loving those lazer gun games where you run around in a dark warehouse pinging anything that moves and feeling the tingling shock when someone hits your own jersey targets.

*blushes* Um... I'm going to shut up now. Are my comments always getting longer and longer?

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn - I posted this Friday. I plan to call this editor this afternoon at lunch but would appreciate your help in the meantime - thank you.

I've been trying to get extra money freelancing - emailed several sources between April 1-7 and heard back from one editor who gave me an assignment and needed the freelancers to dig up sources for the story, which I did and I emailed her April 11 and again April 14. Still no reply. This could mean a lot of money and I could really use it. What should I do? Thank you in advance.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dawn. As a follow-up to my posts Friday and this morning, I called the editor, got the voice mail (knew I would) and left a message. This is particularly discouraging because I emailed her again with a 3rd possible story this morning (this was the best one so far) and asked in the email if it would be OK if I called this afternoon, since I am brand new and have had virtually no contact with the magazine except for getting an email about this assignment. She never replied to me.
Maybe she's sick? Away? I've considered that. But I've also come across people in this business who just don't feel as though they have to reply to you.

Your help would be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Update: Dawn, I heard fom the editor but there's still no resolution - I don't know whether my ideas will be accepted or not.

Perhaps you can help to shed some light!

Dawn said...

Hi, Anonymous!
I didn't mean to ignore you. I've been on vacation and without Internet access. (I was expecting to have Web access while I was away, and even packed my cards.)

I'll do the spread today.

Dawn